Friday, November 26, 2010

Dear Daughter

Dear Daughter,

In writing you this, I am well aware that you'll probably never have the chance to read it. For I am certain that by the time you're old enough to understand this note, the internet as well as social networking sites will undoubtedly be a thing of the past. This information that inevitably reside on old servers for a time will be long gone.

I'm writing to you out of regret, its becoming alarmingly clear to me that I am in the process of failing you. I have not been with you throughout all of your 'special moments' growing up. I have not provided the life for you that your beautiful soul needs and deserves. I am failing you like I have failed my wife, and before that, my mother and father.

After much thought it has been slowly occurring to me that I haven't reaped the rewards of a fruitful life and thus been unable to pass this reward along to you simply because I have made poor choices. Consistently poor choices.

I chased a dream far too long and then spent years regretting that chase. I've never felt as if I was doing what I was 'meant to do'. This conflict within has created a perpetual distraction. This distraction has created a flaw in my personality.

The burden of feeling like you're simply going through the motions in life is a heavy one. The dream I once dreamed is gone, and with it, it took most of me. For this I am truly sorry.

This is why I will continue to tell you to do with your life that which makes you whole, that which truly inspires you. For without acting on inspiration and having a deep desire and passion for what you do, I'm afraid you'll end up like me. Empty and depleted, nothing left to give to those who matter most.

I love you always.
Your Father

No comments:

Post a Comment